Dean Street - Soho House
A boutique hotel and restaurant in the heart of Soho. The buildings comprised two townhouses 67 and 69, built by carpenter John Meard in 1732-35 as part of the original development of Soho, with a third 19th C building, number 71. The buildings had been variously used as offices and a large Pitcher and Piano, and had all been very crudely altered over the years so were in very poor condition. In the 1920’s a new top floor had been added to 67 and 69 to house the famous ‘Gargoyle Club’ which had caused many of the internal load bearing walls to compress alarmingly.
Using archive photos we were able to reinstate much of the original Georgian interior to link the remaining fragments and by building two new glass lift shafts to the rear restore much of the room shapes to create the bedrooms upstairs. 71 provided the best place to put the hotel reception so that the ground floor of 67 and 69 could accommodate the restaurant. All the back of house and kitchens etc are in the basement which we extended to occupy the entire footprint and vaults under the street and mews to the side, which solved a number of servicing issues. Executed 2007 to 2009, opening in November 2009.